Welcome to the VMware Cloud Director® Object Storage Extension™ documentation page.
VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension is an integrated storage solution that is provisioned and managed within the VMware Cloud Director framework.
VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension is a standalone middleware service that runs atop of a storage cluster or AWS S3 and provides object storage capabilities to the users of VMware Cloud Director.
The following diagram illustrates the architecture of VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension and the network connections between VMware and storage platform components.
What's New in the VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension Documentation
- VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension 2.1 introduces a backup and restore feature for Kubernetes clusters. You can schedule a backup or create an on-demand backup. See Backing up and Restoring Kubernetes Clusters.
- Custom storage policies are now available to tenants who use the Cloudian platform.
Cloud providers manage the storage policies, see Cloudian Storage Policies.
Tenant users can apply storage policies, see Apply Cloudian Storage Policies.
- Cloud providers can now synchronize VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension platform with the underlying storage platform by on-demand requests or scheduling. See Global Bucket Synchronization.
- For tenant users who use the Amazon Web Services, VMware Cloud Director Object Storage Extension 2.1 offers a new feature that allows you to restore archived objects. See Restore an Archived Object.
- Tenant users can now import and import vApps directly through the VMware Cloud Director tenant portal. See Working with vApps .