You can upgrade a single cell by running the vCloud Director installer without command options. Before you restart an upgraded cell, you must upgrade the database schema. You upgrade the database schema after upgrading at least one cell in the server group.
You can use the vCloud Director installer for Linux to upgrade a vCloud Director server group that consists of vCloud Director installations on a supported Linux OS. If your vCloud Director server group consists of vCloud Director 9.5 appliances deployments, you use the vCloud Director installer for Linux to upgrade your existing environment only as part of the migration workflow. See Migrating to vCloud Director Appliance.
For a multi-cell vCloud Director installation, instead of manually upgrading each cell and the database in a sequence, you can perform an orchestrated upgrade of the vCloud Director installation. See Perform an Orchestrated Upgrade of a vCloud Director Installation.
Verify that your vCloud Director database, the vSphere components, and the NSX components are compatible with the new version of vCloud Director.Important: If your existing vCloud Director installation uses an Oracle database or a Microsoft SQL Server database, verify that you migrated to a PostgreSQL database before upgrading to vCloud Director version 10.0. For the possible upgrade paths, see Upgrading vCloud Director.
- Verify that you have superuser credentials for the servers in your vCloud Director server group.
If you want the installer to verify the digital signature of the installation file, download and install the VMware public key on the target server. If you already verified the digital signature of the installation file, you do not need to verify it again during installation. See Download and Install the VMware Public Key.
- Verify that you have a valid license key to use the version of the vCloud Director software to which you are upgrading.
- Verify that you all ESXi hosts are enabled. Starting with vCloud Director 9.5, disabled ESXi hosts are unsupported.
What to do next
- After you upgraded all vCloud Director servers in the server group and the database, you can start the vCloud Director services on all cells.
- Upgrade Each NSX Manager That Is Associated with an Attached vCenter Server System
- After upgrading each NSX Manager, you can upgrade the vCenter Server systems, hosts, and NSX edges. See Upgrade vCenter Server Systems, ESXi Hosts, and NSX Edges.