Create an anti-affinity rule to place a specific group of virtual machines across multiple hosts to prevent simultaneous failure of those virtual machines in the event that a single host fails.
- On the Virtual Datacenters dashboard screen, click the card of the virtual data center you want to explore, and select Affinity Rules from the left panel.
- Under Anti-Affinity Rules, click New.
- Enter a name of the rule.
- Deselect Enabled to create the rule without enabling it.
By default, the check box is selected and rules are enabled after you create them.
- Leave the Required check box selected.
By default, each anti-affinity rule is required. This means that if the rule cannot be satisfied, the virtual machines added to the rule do not power on.
- Select the virtual machines to add to the anti-affinity rule.
- Click Save.
vCloud Director places the virtual machines associated with the anti-affinity rule across multiple hosts.