You can upload an OVF package to create a vApp template in a catalog.
VMware Cloud Director supports the Open Virtualization Format (OVF) and Open Virtualization Appliance (OVA) specifications. If you upload an OVF file that includes OVF properties for customizing its virtual machines, those properties are preserved in the vApp template. For information about creating OVF packages, see the OVF Tool User Guide and VMware vCenter Converter User's Guide
This operation requires the rights included in the predefined Catalog Author role or an equivalent set of rights.
- In the top navigation bar, click Libraries, and, in the left panel, select vApp Templates.
The list of templates appears in a grid view.
- Click New.
- Enter a URL address of the OVF file, or click the Upload icon () to browse to a location accessible from your computer and select the OVF/OVA template file.
The location might be your local hard drive, a network share, or a CD/DVD drive. The supported file extensions include .ova, .ovf, .vmdk, .mf, .cert, and .strings. If you select to upload an OVF file, which references more files than you are trying to upload, for example, a VMDK file, you must browse and select all files.
- Verify the details of the OVF/OVA template you are about to deploy and click Next.
- Enter a name and, optionally, a description for the vApp template, and click Next.
- From the Catalog drop-down menu, select the catalog, to which you want to add the template.
- Review the vApp template settings, and click Finish.
The new vApp template appears in the templates grid view.