An NSX-T Data Center edge gateway provides a routed organization VDC network with connectivity to external networks and can provide services such as load balancing, network address translation, and firewall.
For information about the system requirements for deploying an NSX-T Data Center edge gateway, see the NSX-T Data Center Administration Guide.
Starting with version 10.1, VMware Cloud Director supports a dedicated external network configuration. Dedicating an external network to an edge gateway provides tenants with additional edge gateway services, such as route advertisement management and border gateway protocol (BGP) configuration. For more information, see Dedicated External Networks.
VMware Cloud Director supports basic NSX-T Data Center edge cluster configuration. For more information on NSX edge clusters, see NSX-T Data Center Installation Guide.
- From the top navigation bar, select Resources and click Cloud Resources.
- In the left panel, click Edge Gateways.
- Click New.
- Select the NSX-T Data Center-backed organization VDC on which you want to create the edge gateway, and click Next.
- Enter a name and, optionally, a description for the new edge gateway.
- To enable BGP and route advertisement for the edge gateway, toggle on the Dedicated External Network option, and click Next.
- Select an external network to which the new edge gateway connects and click Next.
If you toggled on the Dedicated External Network option, other edge gateways cannot access this external network.
- Select an edge cluster on which to deploy the edge gateway and click Next.
If you want to run the edge gateway services on an edge cluster that is different from the one associated with the external network, you can configure the edge gateway to use a different edge cluster.
- Use the edge cluster of the external network to which the edge gateway is connected.
- Select from a list of edge clusters available to the organization VDC on which you are deploying the edge gateway.
- (Optional) Edit the IP addresses or IP address ranges that are allocated to the edge gateway, and click Next.
- Review the Ready to Complete page, and click Finish.