Starting with VMware Cloud Director 10.2.2, your service provider can grant you rights to create scale groups. The amount of VMs in a scale group changes automatically depending on the conditions that you define.
You can also access scale groups from a selected organization virtual data center (VDC).
- From the top navigation bar, select Applications and select the Scale Groups tab.
- Click New Scale Group.
- Select an organization VDC in which to create the scale group.
- Enter a name and, optionally, a description of the new scale group.
- Select the minimum and maximum number of VMs to which you want the group to scale to, and click Next.
- Select a VM template for the VMs in the scale group and a storage policy, and click Next.
- Select a network for the scale group.
- If your VDC is backed by NSX-T Data Center, select a load balancer.
- If you want to manage the load balancer on your own or if there is no need for a load balancer, select I have a fully set-up network.
- Click Create Group and Add Rules.
What to do next
- Add an Auto Scaling Rule
- From the details view of a scale group, when you select Monitor, you can see all tasks related to this scale group. For example, you can see the time of creation of the scale group, all growing or shrinking tasks for the group, the rules that initiated the tasks, and so on.
- Delete a scale group. When you delete a scale group, VMware Cloud Director does not delete any of the existing VMs in the scale group. If you want to reduce the number of VMs, you must manually delete them.