You can create a VDC group network across all virtual data centers that are participating in a data center group.
You can add only an IPv4 data center group network backed by NSX Data Center for vSphere.
This operation requires the predefined Organization Administrator role or a role with the Organization VDC Network: Edit Properties right.
- In the top navigation bar, click Networking.
- On the Networks tab, click New.
- On the Scope page, select Data Center Group, and select a data center group backed by NSX Data Center for vSphere in which to create the network and click Next.
- Enter a meaningful name for the network.
- Enter the Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR) settings for the network.
Use the format network_gateway_IP_address/ subnet_prefix_length, for example, 18.104.22.168/24.
- Enter a description of the organization VDC network.
- Click Next.
- Review the settings and click Finish.
You can see the newly created data center group network in the list of network for the organization.
Its network type is listed as Cross-VDC.
An organization virtual data center network of cross-VDC routing type is created for each participating virtual data center. You can see the VDC group networks of the participating virtual data centers by clicking on the card of a participating virtual data center and then clicking Networks. If a virtual machine or vApp connects to such an organization virtual data center network, this virtual machine or vApp connects to the VDC group network.
What to do next
For DNS and DHCP configurations for virtual machines attached to a VDC group network, you can use the VMware Cloud Director OpenAPI. To examine the VMware Cloud Director OpenAPI documentation, go to https://Cloud_Director_IP_address_or_host_name/docs. To view code samples and test VMware Cloud Director OpenAPI calls, go to https://Cloud_Director_IP_address_or_host_name/api-explorer?scope=organization_name.