By adding a vApp to a catalog, you convert the particular vApp to a vApp template.
This operation requires the rights included in the predefined vApp Author role or an equivalent set of rights.
Your organization must have a catalog and a virtual data center with available space.
- On the Virtual Data Center dashboard screen, click the card of the virtual data center you want to explore, and from the left panel, select vApps.
- Click to view the vApps in a card view.
- From the Actions menu of the vApp you want to add to a catalog, select Add to Catalog.
Note: You can add vApps to a catalog even if the virtual machines that belong to the vApp are in a running state. However, if you select a running vApp, it is added to the catalog as a vApp template and all the virtual machines are in a suspended state.
- Select the destination catalog from the Catalog drop-down menu.
- Enter a name and, optionally, a description for the vApp template.
- (Optional) Select Overwrite catalog item if you want the new catalog item to overwrite any existing vApp template and select the catalog item to overwrite.
For example, when you upload a new version of a vApp to the catalog, you might want to overwrite the old version.
- Specify how the template must be used.
The setting applies when you are creating a vApp based on the vApp template. It is ignored when you build a vApp by using individual virtual machines from this template.
Option Description Make identical copy Select to make an identical copy of the vApp when you create a vApp from the vApp template. Customize VM settings Select to enable customization of the virtual machine settings when you create a vApp from the vApp template.
- To complete the creation of the vApp template, click OK
The vApp template appears in the specified catalog.