Starting with version 10.2.2, the VMware Cloud Director appliance can run in FIPS-compliant mode. You can view the appliance and cell FIPS mode.
When using the VMware Cloud Director appliance, to configure the VMware Cloud Director appliance to run in FIPS-compliant mode, you must manage both the appliance FIPS mode and the cell FIPS mode.
- The appliance FIPS mode is the mode of the underlying appliance OS, embedded database, and various system libraries.
- The cell FIPS mode is the mode of the VMware Cloud Director cell running on each appliance.
|The appliance and cell FIPS modes match. Both modes are either on or off.|
|The cell FIPS mode is in a Pending restart state. Use the appliance API to enable or disable the appliance FIPS mode. Changing the appliance FIPS mode automatically restarts the VMware Cloud Director cell service.|
|The VMware Cloud Director appliance cannot determine the cell FIPS mode. The VMware Cloud Director service failing on the appliance can cause the cell FIPS mode to be undetermined.|
- Log in as root to the appliance management UI at https://primary_eth1_ip_address:5480.
- From the left panel, select System Configuration.
- View the status of the appliance and cell FIPS mode on each node.