An edge gateway backed by an NSX-T Data Center tier-0 gateway provides a routed organization VDC network with services such as load balancing, network address translation, and firewall.
For information about the system requirements for deploying an NSX-T Data Center edge gateway, see the NSX-T Data Center Administration Guide.
Starting with version 10.1, VMware Cloud Director supports a dedicated tier-0 gateway configuration. Dedicating a tier-0 gateway to a VMware Cloud Director edge gateway provides tenants with additional edge gateway services, such as route advertisement management and border gateway protocol (BGP) configuration. For more information, see Dedicated Tier-0 Gateways .
VMware Cloud Director supports basic NSX-T Data Center edge cluster configuration. For more information on NSX edge clusters, see NSX-T Data Center Installation Guide.
- From the top navigation bar, select Resources and click Cloud Resources.
- In the left panel, click Edge Gateways.
- Click New.
- Select the NSX-T Data Center-backed organization VDC on which you want to create the edge gateway, and click Next.
- Enter a name and, optionally, a description for the new edge gateway.
- To enable BGP and route advertisement for the edge gateway, toggle on the Dedicated Tier-0 Gateway option, and click Next.
- Select a tier-0 gateway to which the new edge gateway connects and click Next.
If you toggled on the Dedicated Tier-0 Gateway option, other edge gateways cannot access this external network.
- Select an edge cluster on which to deploy the new edge gateway and click Next.
If you want to run the edge gateway services on an edge cluster that is different from the one associated with the tier-0 gateway, you can configure the edge gateway to use a different edge cluster.
- Use the edge cluster of the external network to which the edge gateway is connected.
- Select from a list of edge clusters available to the organization VDC on which you are deploying the edge gateway.
- (Optional) Edit the IP addresses or IP address ranges that are allocated to the edge gateway, and click Next.
- Review the Ready to Complete page, and click Finish.