You can move a virtual machine to another vApp. When you move a virtual machine, the original virtual machine is removed from the source vApp.
When you move a virtual machine to a different vApp, the snapshots that you have taken are lost.
Starting with VMware Cloud Director 9.5, moving VMs across different vApps relies on VMware vSphere® vMotion® and Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC). You can move a VM to a different vApp that belongs to the same or another organization VDC within the same provider VDC.
|Reconfiguration||VM state if the target vApp is in the same organization VDC||VM state if the target vApp in another organization VDC within the same provider VDC|
|change the network||powered off||N/A|
|remove the network||powered on or off||N/A|
|change the storage profile||powered on or off||powered off|
This operation requires the rights included in the predefined vApp Author role or an equivalent set of rights.
Verify that the underlying vSphere resources support vMotion and EVC. For information about the requirements and limitations of vMotion and EVC, see vCenter Server and Host Management.
If you want to change the VM network or the storage profile, check whether you must power off the VM. See table Reconfigurations During VM Movements and VM States.
- On the Virtual Data Center dashboard screen, click the card of the virtual data center you want to explore and from the left panel, select Virtual Machines.
- Click to view the list in a card view and, optionally, arrange the list of virtual machines from the Sort by drop-down menu.
- From the Actions menu of the machine you want to move, select Move to.
- Select the destination vApp and click Next.
- Configure the resources, such as name of the virtual machine, computer name, VM storage policy and, optionally, configure the storage policies for each disk and NICs.
Important: The computer name can contain only alphanumeric characters and hyphens. It cannot consist of digits only and cannot contain spaces.
- Click Next.
- On the Ready to Complete page review your settings and click Done.