Create an anti-affinity rule to place a specific group of virtual machines across multiple hosts to prevent simultaneous failure of those virtual machines in the event that a single host fails.
- On the Virtual Data Center dashboard screen, click the card of the virtual data center you want to explore, and from the left panel, select Affinity Rules.
- Under Anti-Affinity Rules, click New.
- Enter a name of the rule.
- Deselect Enabled to create the rule without enabling it.
By default, the check box is selected and rules are enabled after you create them.
- Deselect Required to create a preferred rule, and enable the cluster to power on the virtual machines even if the rule is violated.
By default, the check box is selected, and the rule is required. If the rule cannot be satisfied, the virtual machines added to the rule do not power on.
- Select the virtual machines to add to the anti-affinity rule.
- Click Save.
VMware Cloud Director places the virtual machines associated with the anti-affinity rule across multiple hosts.