Create an affinity rule to place a specific group of virtual machines on a single host so that you can audit the usage of those virtual machines.
- On the Virtual Data Center dashboard screen, click the card of the virtual data center you want to explore, and from the left panel, select Affinity Rules.
- Under Affinity Rules, click New.
- Enter a name of the rule.
- Deselect Enabled to create the rule without enabling it.
By default, the check box is selected and rules are enabled after you create them.
- Deselect Required to create a preferred rule, which means that the virtual machines added to the rule are powered on even when the rule is violated.
By default, the check box is selected, and the rule is required. If the rule cannot be satisfied, the virtual machines added to the rule do not power on.
- Select the virtual machines that you want to add to the affinity rule.
- Click Save.
VMware Cloud Director places the virtual machines associated with the affinity rule on a single host.