An edge gateway backed by an NSX gateway provides a routed organization VDC network with services such as load balancing, network address translation, and firewall.
For information about the system requirements for deploying an NSX edge gateway, see the NSX Administration Guide.
VMware Cloud Director 10.4.0 supports a dedicated provider gateway configuration. Dedicating a provider gateway to a VMware Cloud Director edge gateway provides tenants with additional edge gateway services, such as route advertisement management and border gateway protocol (BGP) configuration. For more information, see Dedicated Tier-0 Gateways .
If you are using VMware Cloud Director 10.4.1, you can dedicate a provider gateway to an entire organization, which makes possible connecting multiple edge gateways to a dedicated provider gateway. See Managing Provider Gateways.
VMware Cloud Director supports basic NSX edge cluster configuration. For more information on NSX edge clusters, see NSX Installation Guide.
- From the top navigation bar, select Resources and click Cloud Resources.
- In the left panel, click Edge Gateways.
- Click New.
- Select the NSX-backed organization VDC on which you want to create the edge gateway, and click Next.
- Enter a name and, optionally, a description for the new edge gateway.
- To enable IP space management for the edge gateway, toggle on the IP Address Management option, and click Next.
- To dedicate a provider gateway to the edge gateway, toggle on the Dedicate Provider Gateway option.
- Select a provider or tier-0 gateway to which the new edge gateway connects and click Next.
- Select an edge cluster on which to deploy the new edge gateway and click Next.
If you want to run the edge gateway services on an edge cluster that is different from the one associated with the provider gateway, you can configure the edge gateway to use a different edge cluster.
- Use the edge cluster of the external network to which the edge gateway is connected.
- Select from a list of edge clusters available to the organization VDC on which you are deploying the edge gateway.
- Review the Ready to Complete page, and click Finish.