To combine the resources of two VMware Cloud Director provider VDCs, you can merge these provider VDCs into a single provider VDC.
You can merge provider VDCs that are backed by NSX.
VMware Cloud Director supports merging provider VDCs that are not backed by networking resources, and merging a provider VDC that is not backed by networking resources with an NSX-backed provider VDC.
- Verify that both provider VDCs have the same enabled state.
- If you want to merge provider VDCs that are backed by NSX, verify that both provider VDCs are backed by the same NSX Manager instance and by the same Geneve network pool.
- Verify that both provider VDCs are backed by the same vCenter Server instance and by the same data center.
- Verify that the provider VDC that you want to expand supports the highest hardware version used in the provider VDC that is to be merged. If the merging provider VDC contains a VM with a higher hardware version than the highest one supported by the expanding provider VDC, the merge fails.
- Verify that both provider VDCs contain only elastic organization VDCs.
- If you want to merge provider VDCs with network pools that are backed by VXLAN, verify that the VXLAN pools have the same NSX working state. See "Verify the NSX Working State" in the NSX Upgrade Guide.
- From the top navigation bar, select Resources and click Cloud Resources.
- In the left panel, select Provider VDCs.
- Select the provider virtual data center that you want to expand, and click Merge.
- Select the provider virtual data center to merge with the target provider VDC, and click Merge.