After you create a security tag, by using the VMware Cloud Director Tenant Portal, you can manually assign it to virtual machines. You can also edit a security tag to remove the tag from the virtual machines to which you have already assigned it.
If you have created security tags, you can assign them to virtual machines. You can use security tags to group virtual machines for writing firewall rules. For example, you might assign a security tag to a group of virtual machines with highly sensitive data.
- On the Virtual Data Center dashboard screen, click the card of the virtual data center you want to explore and under Networking, select Security.
- Select a security service and click Configure services.
- Click the Security Tags tab.
- From the list of security tags, select the security tag that you want to edit, and click the Edit button.
- Select virtual machines from the left panel, and assign the security tag to them by clicking the right arrow.
The virtual machines in the right panel are assigned the security tag.
- Select virtual machines in the right panel, and remove the tag from them by clicking the left arrow.
The virtual machines in the left panel do not have the security tag assigned.
- When you finish adding your changes, click Keep.
The security tag is assigned to the selected virtual machines.
What to do next
Security tags are designed to work with a security group. For more information about creating security groups, see Create a Security Group by Using Your VMware Cloud Director Tenant Portal.