vCloud Director requires NSX Manager to provide network services to the cloud. Before you perform a new installation of vCloud Director, you must install and configure NSX Manager and associate a unique instance of NSX Manager with each vCenter Server that you plan to include in your vCloud Director installation.
NSX Manager is included in the VMware NSX for vSphere download. For the most recent information about compatibility between vCloud Director and other VMware products, see the VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes at http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide/sim/interop_matrix.php. For information about the network requirements, see vCloud Director Hardware and Software Requirements.
- Verify that each of your vCenter Server systems meets the prerequisites for installing NSX Manager.
- Perform the installation task for the NSX Manager virtual appliance described in the NSX Installation and Upgrade Guide.
- Log in to the NSX Manager virtual appliance that you installed and confirm the settings that you specified during installation.
- Associate the NSX Manager virtual appliance that you installed with the vCenter Server system that you plan to add to vCloud Director in your planned vCloud Director installation.
- Configure VXLAN support in the associated NSX Manager.
vCloud Director creates VXLAN network pools to provide network resources to Provider VDCs. If VXLAN support is not configured in the associated NSX Manager, Provider VDCs show a network pool error, and you must create a different type of network pool and associate it with the Provider VDC. For details about configuring VXLAN support, see the NSX Administration Guide.
- (Optional) If you want Edge Gateways in the system to provide distributed routing, set up an NSX controller cluster.
See the NSX Administration Guide.