You can use the cell management tool to quiesce and shut down vCloud Director services on the cell.
vCloud Director creates a task object to track and manage each asynchronous operation that a user requests. Information about all running and recently completed tasks is stored in the vCloud Director database. Because a database upgrade invalidates this task information, you must be sure that no tasks are running when you begin the upgrade process.
The cell management tool can suspend the task scheduler so that new tasks cannot be started, then stop vCloud Director services on the cell to prepare it for an upgrade.
Console sessions routed through a cell's console proxy are interrupted when the cell shuts down. If other cells are still active, clients can refresh the console window to recover.
- Verify that you have superuser credentials for the target server.
- Verify that you have vCloud Director system administrator credentials.
- If this cell will be accessible to vCloud Director clients while it is being upgraded, use the /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/bin/vmware-vcd-cell command to turn on the cell maintenance message.
[root@cell1 /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/bin]# ./vmware-vcd-cell maintenanceThis command causes the cell to respond to all requests with a maintenance message. If you use a load balancer or similar tool to make the cell inaccessible during the upgrade, you do not need to turn on the cell maintenance message.
- (Optional) If your installation includes multiple servers, ensure that the cell you plan to quiesce is not running the vCloud Director proxy service.
This service manages updates of vCloud Director tasks and inventory in response to changes in vCenter tasks and inventory. If you shut down the cell that is running this service, the service is re-started on another cell within five minutes, but during that interval, log messages of this form can result.
Folder .... does not exist in our inventory, but vCenter Server claims that it does.To avoid logging messages like this, use the vCloud Director Web Console to start the proxy on another cell.
- Go to
- If the cell you plan to upgrade appears in the vCenter Proxy column, reconnect the vCenter server.
- Log in to the target server as root.
- Use the cell management tool to gracefully shut down the cell.
Use a cell-management-tool command of the following form.
[root@cell1 /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/bin]# ./cell-management-tool -u administrator cell --shutdown Please enter the administrator password: Cell is still active. Asking cell to quiesce before attempting to proceed. Please wait, this could take a few minutes Cell successfully set to inactive mode. No more tasks will be accepted. Waiting for all remaining tasks to be processed. Cell successfully deactivated and all tasks cleared in preparation for shutdown Stopping vmware-vcd-watchdog: [ OK ] Stopping vmware-vcd-cell: [ OK ] [root@cell1 /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/bin]#