You can upgrade the virtual hardware version for a virtual machine. Later virtual hardware versions support more features.
You cannot downgrade the hardware version of the virtual machines in a vApp.
VMware vCloud Directorsupports hardware version 4, hardware version 7, hardware version 8, hardware version 9, hardware version 10, hardware version 11, hardware version 12, and hardware version 13 virtual machines depending on the resources backing the organization's virtual data centers.
- Stop the vApp.
- Verify that the latest version of VMware tools is installed on the virtual machines.
- On the Virtual Datacenters dashboard screen, click the card of the virtual data center you want to explore.
The list of virtual machines displays in a grid view.
- Choose whether you want to view virtual machines in vApps or standalone VMs.
The subset of virtual machines displays in a card view.
- In the Look in field, select All VMs, Standalone VMs, or VMs in vApps.
- Select the virtual machine you want to upgrade.
- From the More menu, select Upgrade Virtual Hardware Version.
- Click OK.
The virtual machine is upgraded to the latest version.