You can update the vCloud Director appliance with patches that might be related to product functionality and security improvements.
During the patch of the vCloud Director appliance deployment, the vCloud Director service stops working and some downtime can be expected. The downtime depends on the time you need to patch each vCloud Director appliance and to run the vCloud Director database upgrade script. The number of working cells in the vCloud Director server group reduces until you stop the vCloud Director service on the last vCloud Director appliance. A properly configured load balancer in front of the vCloud Director HTTP endpoints should stop routing traffic to the cells that are stopped.
When you apply the patch to every vCloud Director appliance and the database upgrade is complete, the vCloud Director services restart across the server group and bring it online again.
Back up your existing database.
- Download the update package to the appliance.
vCloud Director is distributed as an executable file with a name of the form VMware_vCloud_Director_v.v.v.v- nnnnnnnn_update. tar.gz, where v. v. v. v represents the product version and nnnnnnnn the build number. For example, VMware_vCloud_Director_188.8.131.5248-13560441_update.tar.gz.
- Create the local-update-package directory in which to extract the update package.
- Extract the update package in the newly created directory.
tar -zxf VMware_vCloud_Director_v.v.v.v-nnnnnnnn_update.tar.gz \ -C /tmp/local-update-package
- Set the local-update-package directory as the update repository.
vamicli update --repo file:///tmp/local-update-package
- Check for updates to verify that you established correctly the repository.
vamicli update --checkThe patch release appears as an Available Update.
- Shut down vCloud Director by running the following command:
/opt/vmware/vcloud-director/bin/cell-management-tool -u <admin username> cell --shutdown
- Apply the available patch.
vamicli update --install latest
- Repeat Steps 1–7 on each appliance.
- Only on one vCloud Director appliance instance, run the vCloud Director database upgrade script.
- Restart the vCloud Director services on each appliance.
service vmware-vcd start