You configure your edge gateways in your vCloud Director environment to provide Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) services to virtual machines connected to the associated organization virtual data center networks. If the edge gateway has been converted to an advanced edge gateway, you can use the vCloud Director tenant portal to configure DHCP services for that edge gateway.
As described in the NSX documentation, an NSX edge gateway capabilities include IP address pooling, one-to-one static IP address allocation, and external DNS server configuration. Static IP address binding is based on the managed object ID and interface ID of the requesting client virtual machine.
- Listens on the internal interface of the edge gateway for DHCP discovery.
- Uses the IP address of the internal interface of the edge gateway as the default gateway address for all clients.
- Uses the broadcast and subnet mask values of the internal interface for the container network.
- You changed or deleted a DHCP pool, default gateway, or DNS server.
- You changed the internal IP address of the edge gateway instance.