You can add a network to a vApp to make the network available to the virtual machines in the vApp. You can add a vApp network or an organization virtual data center network to a vApp.
Connections can be direct or fenced. Fencing allows identical virtual machines in different vApps to be powered on without conflict by isolating the MAC and IP addresses of the virtual machines.
When fencing is enabled and the vApp is powered on, an isolated network is created from the organization virtual data center network pool. An edge gateway is created and attached to the isolated network and the organization virtual data center network. Traffic going to and from the virtual machines pass through the edge gateway, which translates the IP address using NAT and proxy-AR. This allows a router to pass traffic between two networks by using the same IP space.
To add an organization virtual data center network, your administrator must have created such a network.
- On the Virtual Datacenters dashboard screen, click the card of the virtual data center you want to explore, and select vApps from the left panel.
- Click to view the vApps in a card view.
- In the card of the selected vApp, click More and select Add network.
- Select the type of network to add.
Option Action Organization VDC Network Select an organization virtual data center network from the list. vApp Network
- Enter a name and, optionally, a description for the network.
- Enter the gateway and network mask.
- (Optional) Enter the primary and secondary DNS, and the DNS suffix.
- (Optional) Select whether to allow guest VLAN.
- (Optional) Enter static IP pool settings, such as IP ranges.
- Click Add.
The network is added to the vApp.
What to do next
Connect a virtual machine in the vApp to the network.