You can migrate all vApps, independent disks, and catalog items of one or more organizations from one or more datastores to different datastores.
Before you decommission a datastore, you must migrate all the items stored on that datastore to a new datastore. You might also want to migrate an organization to a new datastore that has more storage capacity or uses a newer storage technology such as VMware vSAN.
Tenant storage migration is a resource-intensive operation that can run for a long time, especially when there are many assets to migrate. For more information about migrating tenant storage, see https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2151086.
- Determine the storage policies used by the organization VDCs of the target organizations. See Add a Storage Policy to an Organization Virtual Datacenter.
- Determine the datastores in the storage policies used by the target organizations, see View Storage Policy Properties.
- For each storage policy containing a source datastore that you want to migrate, verify that there is at least one destination datastore to which to migrate. You can create destination datastores or use existing ones.
- Log in to the vCloud Director Web Console as a system administrator or with a role that has the Organization: Migrate Tenant Storage right.
- On the Manage & Monitor tab, in the left pane, click Datastores & Datastore Clusters.
- Right-click a datastore or cluster name, click Migrate Tenant Storage, and click OK.
- Select one or more organizations to migrate, click Add, and click Next.
- Select one or more source datastores to migrate, click Add, and click Next.
The wizard lists all datastores in the system.
- Select one or more destination datastores, click Add, and click Next.
- Review the Summary page, and click Finish to begin the migration.