From an upgraded vCloud Director server, you run a tool that upgrades the vCloud Director database. You must not restart any upgraded vCloud Director server before upgrading the shared database.
Information about all running and recently completed tasks is stored in the vCloud Director database. Because a database upgrade invalidates this task information, the database upgrade utility verifies that no tasks are running when the upgrade process begins.
All cells in a vCloud Director server group share the same database. Regardless of how many cells you are upgrading, you upgrade the database only once. After the database is upgraded, vCloud Director cells that are not upgraded cannot connect to the database You must upgrade all cells so that they connect to the upgraded database.
- Back up your existing database. Use the procedures that your database software vendor recommends.
- Verify that all vCloud Director cells in the server group are stopped. The upgraded cells are stopped during the upgrade process. If there are vCloud Director servers that are not yet upgraded, you can use the cell management tool to quiesce and shut down their services. For information about how to manage a cell by using the cell management tool, see vCloud Director Administrator's Guide.
- If your vCloud Director installation uses an Oracle database, migrate to a PostgeSQL database. For information about migrating to a PostgreSQL database, see the cell management tool reference in vCloud Director Administrator's Guide.
- Review the Database Upgrade Utility Reference. The options and arguments are not mandatory.
- Run the database upgrade utility with or without options.
/opt/vmware/vcloud-director/bin/upgradeIf the database upgrade utility detects an incompatible version of NSX Manager, it displays a warning message and cancels the upgrade.
- On the prompt, enter y and press Enter to confirm the database upgrade.
- On the prompt, enter y and press Enter to confirm that you backed up the database.
If you used the --backup-completed option, the utility skips this prompt.
- If the utility detects an active cell, on the prompt to continue, enter n to exit the shell, then verify that no cells are running and retry the upgrade from Step 1.
What to do next
You can start the services of the upgraded vCloud Director servers.
You can upgrade the rest vCloud Director members of the server group and start their services. See Upgrade a vCloud Director Cell.