An organization administrator can add static routes between two vApp networks that are routed to the same organization virtual datacenter network. Static routes allow traffic between the networks.
You cannot add static routes between overlapping networks or fenced vApps. After you add a static route to an organization virtual datacenter network, configure the network firewall rules to allow traffic on the static route. For vApps with static routes, select the Always use assigned IP addresses until this vApp or associated networks are deleted check box.
Static routes only function when the vApps included in the routes are running. If you change the parent network of a vApp, delete a vApp, or delete a vApp network, and the vApp includes static routes, those routes cannot function and you must remove them manually.
- A routed organization virtual datacenter network is in place.
- Two vApp networks are routed to the organization virtual datacenter network.
- The vApp networks are in vApps that were started at least once.
- Click Administration.
- Select .
- Right-click the organization virtual datacenter network name and select Configure Services.
- Click the Static Routing tab and click Add.
- Type a name, network address, and next hop IP address.
The network address is for the first vApp network to which you want to add a static route. The next hop IP address is the external IP address of that vApp network's router.
- Select Within this network, and click OK.
- Click OK.
- Repeat Step 4 through Step 7 to add a route to the second vApp network.
Example: Static Routing Example
vApp Network 1 and vApp Network 2 are both routed to Org Network Shared. You can create static routes on the organization virtual datacenter network to allow traffic between the vApp networks. You can use information about the vApp networks to create the static routes.
|Network Name||Network Specification||Router External IP Address|
|vApp Network 1||192.168.1.0/24||192.168.0.100|
|vApp Network 2||192.168.2.0/24||192.168.0.101|
|Org Network Shared||192.168.0.0/24||NA|
On Org Network Shared, create a static route to vApp Network 1 and another static route to vApp Network 2.
|Static Route to Network||Route Name||Network||Next Hop IP Address||Route|
|vApp Network 1||tovapp1||192.168.1.0/24||192.168.0.100||In this network|
|vApp Network 2||tovapp2||192.168.2.0/24||192.168.0.101||In this network|
What to do next
Create firewall rules to allow traffic on the static routes.