To make a network available to virtual machines in a vApp, you can add an organization virtual data center network to the vApp.
Connections can be direct or fenced. Fencing enables you to power on identical virtual machines in different vApps without conflict by isolating the MAC and IP addresses of the virtual machines.
When fencing is enabled and the vApp is powered on, an isolated network is created from the organization virtual data center's network pool. An edge gateway is created and attached to the isolated network and the organization virtual data center network. Traffic that goes to and from the virtual machines passes through the edge gateway. The edge gateway translates the IP address by using NAT and proxy-AR, which allows a router to pass traffic between two networks that use the same IP address space.
- Click the My Cloud tab and click vApps on the left pane.
- Right-click the vApp and click Open.
- Click the Networking tab and click the Add Network button.
- Select Organization VDC Network and click Next.
- Select an organization virtual data center network and click Finish.
vCloud Director adds the organization virtual data center network and displays it in the network list.
- (Optional) Select the Fence vApp check box.
The connection changes from direct to fenced for all organization virtual data center networks in the vApp.
- Click Apply.
What to do next
Connect a virtual machine in the vApp to the network.