Welcome to the VMware Cloud Director® (formerly VMware vCloud Director for Service Providers) documentation.
You can access the documentation in HTML format by using the table of contents on the left side of the page.
All our documentation also comes in PDF format, which you can access by selecting the PDF download icon while reading a page or viewing a search result.
Looking for VMware vCloud Director for Service Providers Documentation?
Since April 2020, vCloud Director for Service Providers changed its product name to VMware Cloud Director.
APIs and SDKs
- VMware Cloud Director API 35.0 (VMware Cloud Director 10.2)
- VMware Cloud Director Appliance API 35.0 (VMware Cloud Director 10.2)
- VMware Cloud Director API 34.0 (VMware Cloud Director 10.1)
- VMware Cloud Director Appliance API 34.0 (VMware Cloud Director 10.1)
- vCloud API 33.0 (vCloud Director 10.0)
- vCloud API 32.0 (vCloud Director 9.7)
- vCloud API 31.0 (vCloud Director 9.5)
- vCloud API 30.0 (vCloud Director 9.1)
- vCloud API 29.0 (vCloud Director 9.0)
Learn More About VMware Cloud Director
- VMware Cloud Director Security (vCloud Director 9.7 and later)
- vCloud Director Security (vCloud Director 9.1 and 9.5)
- VMware Cloud Director Ports and Protocols
- VMware Product Interoperability Matrices
- VMware Configuration Maximums (vCloud Director 9.7 and later)
- Configuration Maximums for vCloud Director 9.5
- Configuration Maximums for vCloud Director 9.1
- Configuration Maximums for vCloud Director 9.0
- VMware Cloud Director Community Forum
- VMware Cloud Provider Blog
- Tomas Fojta's Blog (About virtualization, cloud computing and beyond)
- vCloud Architecture Toolkit
- VMware Cloud Provider Pod Designer - VMware Validated Designs for Cloud Providers
- For a hands-on introduction to VMware Cloud Director, try one of the Hybrid Cloud hands-on labs (HOL).
VMware Cloud Director Extensions and Tools
- Kubernetes service
Container Service Extension (CSE) is a separate product offering from VMware that works alongside VMware Cloud Director. By using CSE, as a service provider, you can offer a Kubernetes service to your tenants enabling them to deploy fully functional Kubernetes clusters in a self-service and multi-tenant safe fashion. CSE extends the VMware Cloud Director API and UI for Kubernetes cluster lifecycle management. The VMware Cloud Director system administrator can install and operate CSE. To download CSE or learn more, visit https://vmware.github.io/container-service-extension.
Starting with VMware Cloud Director 10.2, you can use vSphere with VMware Tanzu in VMware Cloud Director to create and manage Tanzu Kubernetes clusters. See Creating a vSphere with VMware Tanzu Cluster. The Container Service Extension needed only for the upstream CSE orchestrated native clusters and TKGI clusters.
- pyvcloud is an open-source Python SDK for VMware Cloud Director. For more information, visit http://vmware.github.io/pyvcloud/.
- vcd-cli is a command-line interface for VMware Cloud Director. For more information, visit https://vmware.github.io/vcd-cli/.
- VMware Cloud Director Terraform provider
- For information, visit https://www.terraform.io/docs/providers/vcd/index.html.
- vRealize Operations Manager Extension for VMware Cloud Director
- For information, visit https://marketplace.vmware.com/vsx/solutions/management-pack-for-vcloud-director.
- vRealize Orchestrator Plug-in for VMware Cloud Director
- You can use the vRealize Orchestrator plug-in to run workflows that automate VMware Cloud Director processes. For more information, see the Using the vRealize Orchestrator Plug-In for vCloud Director documentation.