To enable replication capacity for your protected sites, you can deploy a cloud file system.
VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery replicates protection group snapshots to a cloud file system for backup. These snapshots are used later for failover operations to a Recovery SDDC.
The first time you deploy a cloud file system in VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery, you must select one AWS availability zone for all backup and recovery. The applies to newly deployed Recovery SDDCs and existing SDDCs added for recovery. All cloud file systems and all Recovery SDDCs must be in the same AZ.
Once you select the system-wide availability zone, you must select a different availability zone to use for setting up protected SDDCs. Your protected SDDCs can be in the same region as your recovery SDDC, but not in the same availability zone.
Recovery in the Same AWS Region
If you want to protect your VMware Cloud on AWS SDDCs using a single AWS region, when you deploy the cloud file system you must select an availability zone that is different than the availability zone used for protected SDDCs. This choice is for users who are restricted to one AWS region due to region unavailability or from data residency laws.
Recovery in a Different AWS Region
If you want to protect your SDDC in one AWS region, then perform backup and recovery to another AWS region, when you deploy the cloud file system, select a different AWS region than your protected SDDCs. This choice is for users who plan to keep their protected data in one AWS region and then backup and recovery to another AWS region.
- In the VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery UI, click .
- Click the Deploy cloud file system button.
- In the Deploy new cloud file system dialog box, enter a name for the cloud file system.
- Next, if this is the first time deploying a cloud file system, select existing SDDCs to use with this cloud file system for snapshot replication. If at least one cloud file system has been deployed, the availability zone is already selected (same as the first cloud file system).
- If you do not have any SDDCs to protect, select the availability zone for the cloud file system. This availability zone must be different that the availability zone used for protected SDDCs.
Note: Once you select the availability zone for a cloud file system and Recovery SDDCs, you cannot change it.
- Click Deploy to deploy the cloud file system.