You can set up a protected VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC to use the same AWS region used for recovery operations.
Follow the instructions In this task if you want to set up a protected SDDC in the same AWS region where you plan to deploy a Recovery SDDC.
Select this configuration If you are constrained by data residency laws, or have access to only one AWS region, and must use the same region for both protection (protected SDDC) and backup and recovery.
If you are using only one AWS region for VMware Cloud DR, when you create a protected SDDC you can select an SDDC that resides in the same region, but different availability zone, than the cloud file system.
- From the left navigation, select Protected sites.
- Click the Set up protected site button.
- In the Setup protected site dialog box, under Site types select VMware Cloud on AWS.
- Under Cloud backup, select a cloud file system to use with the new protected site. If there is only one cloud file system deployed, then it is already be selected.
- Protected SDDC only: (If you are protecting an on-premises site, go to step 6.)
- On the next page, under Protected SDDC, select an existing SDDC to protect. The UI indicates both the AWS region and availability zone used for each SDDC.
If you want to perform backup and recovery operations in the same AWS region, you can select an SDDC that is in the same AWS region but different availability zone as the cloud file system.
- Click Next.
- On the next page, you have a choice to either allow the system to create firewall rules for the DRaaS Connector (recommended). Or, you can manually create those firewall rules from the VMware Cloud DR UI. If you are not sure which to select, see Network Considerations for a Protected SDDC for more information.
- Click Setup. When the site is created, it displays as a protected site.