At the Details step of an imaging run, you provide a name and description for the imaging run as well component and port information for the rack.
Software bundle must have been uploaded and activated.
iDRAC and KVM consoles must be closed. If an iDRAC console is open, imaging may fail.
- In the VIA user interface, click Imaging.
Ensure that you are in the Details tab.
- (Optional) Type a name and description for the imaging run.
- In Deployment Type, select Cloud Foundation Full Deployment.
- In Rack Type, select Primary Rack if you are imaging rack 1. For additional racks, select Add-On Rack.
- For the management switch and ToR switches, select the vendor and model.
The IP address for each switch is displayed.
- Type the MAC address of each switch.
- If the physical rack contains spine switches (rack 2 only), type the number of spine switches in the Number field in the Spine Switch section.
- Select the vendor and model number of the spine switches.
- In the Server section, type the number of servers in the physical rack.
- Select the vendor and model number of each server. The IP address for each server is displayed.
Ensure that you have selected the component models correctly. VIA enforces a strict matching of the server models selected during imaging against what is discovered by VIA. If they do not match, imaging fails.
- Type the MAC address of each server.
- Click in any section to view the VIA properties file.
The VIA properties file displays rack specification values from the activated software bundle.
If required, edit the file as appropriate. For example, delete the ToR OOB ports that you are not using to speed up the imaging process.
Ensure that the ESXi Disk-Type value matches the actual boot device name (scroll to the bottom of the page to see this field). Edit the value if required.
For Cisco servers, check the default values for VMNIC1 and VMNIC2. If the defaults are not accurate, edit the values based on which 10G port on the server's Network Card is connected to ToR 1 and ToR 2.
- Click Save.
- Click Start Imaging. The wiring diagram for the rack is displayed.
Review the wiring diagram to check if your rack is wired according to displayed wiremap. See Rack Wiring.
Click Confirm if it is accurate. If you need to make any wiring changes, click Cancel.
What to do next
Once imaging starts, notifications (errors, warnings, and information) are displayed in the top right corner of the VIA window. Click the icon to review the messages so that you can take the appropriate steps to complete the imaging successfully.