When you decommission a server, it is cleaned up as part of the workflow. However, a dead host or host with a failed SATADOM is not cleaned up during decommissioning.
Before you begin
Ensure that the following has been completed on the decommissioned host before adding it to a physical rack.
The decommissioned host has been re-imaged or ESXi VIBs have been installed on it. Depending on what you want to do, see Image Individual Server in VIA User's Guide or Install ESXi VIBs on New Host. If you are installing ESXi VIBs manually on a host that was not cleaned up during decommissioning, you must clean the host before installing ESXi.
Password on the host is EvoSddc!2016, the default password for all ESXi hosts.
Has an IP address from the range 192.168.100.50 - 192.168.100.73.
Secure Shell (SSH) is enabled.
Firewall on SSH host is enabled and connections are restricted to the 192.168.100.0/22 subnet.
DNS IP is set to 192.168.1.254.
- Mount the host in an empty slot on the rack and connect it to the management and ToR switches according to the wiremap. See Rack Wiring.
- Power on the host.
The management switch learns the host MAC via the DHCP request it receives from the new host. HMS learns that a new host is connected and updates its internal inventory.
- Retrieve the IP address of the SDDC Manager VM.
Log in to the vCenter Web Client.
Click the SDDC Manager VM (displayed as vrm-UUID).
The IP address is displayed on the right panel.
- In a command line window, SSH to the SDDC Manager VM on the rack where you are adding the host.
- Open the /home/vrack/VMware/vRack/server-commission.properties file and specify values for:
For example, hms.host.bmc.userame=root
For example, hms.host.bmc.password=calvin
Do not use quotes when specifying the above values.Note:
Verify that you have typed the user name and password correctly.
- If the management switch has been replaced in the rack where you are adding the server, perform the following steps. Otherwise, skip to step 7.
Login to the management switch and navigate to the /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf file.
In the STATIC LEASES section, check to see if there is an entry for a static mac reservation for the host. Delete this entry. If an entry does not exist, skip to step 7 to continue server commissioning.
If an entry exists, reboot the management switch.
A new OOB IP address is allocated to the host from the range specified in dhcpd.conf file.
From the /var/lib/dhcpd.leases file, copy the OOB and MAC entries for the host.
Paste the OOB and MAC entries for the host at the end of the STATIC LEASES section in the /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf file.
- Type the following CLI command to run the Server Commission Tool:
You need administrator credentials to run this command, and can commission one server at a time. During host commissioning, the system recognizes the new host and adds it to the inventory and the capacity pool.
The command window displays the task progress.
In loadConfig, loading configuration from '/home/vrack/VMware/vRack/server-commission.properties'. In loadConfig, loading configuration from '/home/vrack/VMware/vRack/vrm.properties'. In getNewHosts, discovering new hosts. In commissionServer, discovered new host. BMC - [ IP: 192.168.0.51, MAC: 64:00:6a:c4:02:16 ]. In getNewHostInbandIpAddress, '192.168.100.51' is new host Inband IP adddress. In addHostKeyToKnownHosts, SSH key for the host '192.168.100.51' added to known hosts file '/home/vrack/.ssh/known_hosts'. In enableCdp, Cisco Discovery Protocol is set in 'both' mode for vSwitch: 'vSwitch0' In applyLicense, license is applied. In addHostToHmsInventory, new host's hostId is 'N6'. In addHostToHmsInventory, saved HMS inventory after adding new host to inventory. In refreshHmsInventory, HMS inventory refreshed successfully. In addHostToPRMInventory, adding host 'N6' to PRM inventory. In addHostToPrmInventory, PRM inventory updated successfully. In addHostToPRMInventory, added host 'N6' to PRM inventory. In commissionHost, commissioning host 'N6' initiated successfully. In getHostCommissioningStatus, host commissioning succeeded. In commissionServer, server commissioned successfully. In updatePRMInventoryForServer, successfully updated PRM Inventory. In commissionServer, PRM Inventory updated after server commissioned. In commissionServer, VRM Health service restarted. Server Commissioning SUCCEEDED.
Note the hostId displayed in the output. In the above example, the hostId is N6.
Sever commissioning is complete when the command window displays the following:
Server Commissioning SUCCEEDED
- Configure NTP on the newly commissioned server to synchronize the time on this server with the rest of the physical rack. See this Knowledge Base article.
- Retrieve the IP address of the commissioned host using the hostId noted earlier.
- On the SDDC Manager Dashboard, click Physical Resources.
- Click the rack on which the host was commissioned.
- Click the host corresponding to the hostId you noted down in step 6.
- Note down the inband IP address (NETWORK TWO address on the screen).
- Change the password on the host to the common password for ESXi hosts.
The common password is the password that was set on all ESXi hosts when you rotated passwords on the rack after bring-up.
- Log in to the SDDC Manager VM on the rack on which you added the new host.
- Navigate to the /home/vrack/bin directory.
- Stop the vrm-watchdogserver and vrm-tcserver services.
service vrm-watchdogserver stop
service vrm-tcserver stop
- Type the following command:
./vrm-cli.sh setup-password-esx hostIPAddress EvoSddc\!2016
where hostIPAddress is the IP address you noted down in step 7d.
- Restart the vrm-watchdogserver service, which also restarts the vrm-tcserver service.
Service vrm-watchdogserver start
The new host is now available for addition to workload domains.