You can add capacity to your Cloud Foundation installation depending on the power availability in the rack. You can then expand a workload domain to include the additional capacity. When you have a set of 3 hosts, you can create a new dedicated workload domain.
Before you begin
The new host should be identical to the other hosts in the rack - from the same vendor, of the same model number, and have the same firmware version. It should be physically at your site before you begin this procedure.
Ensure that the following has been completed on the decommissioned host before adding it to a physical rack.
Password on the host is EvoSddc!2016, the default password for all ESXi hosts.
Secure Shell (SSH) is enabled.
Firewall on SSH host is enabled and connections are restricted to the 192.168.100.0/22 subnet.
DNS IP is set to 192.168.1.254.
Has an IP address from the range 192.168.100.50 - 192.168.100.73.
Appropriate VIB is installed based on the controller.
- Do one of the following.
Image the new host. See Image Individual Server in VIA User's Guide.
Install ESXi VIBs on the new host, See Install ESXi VIBs on New Host.
- Mount the new host in an empty slot on the rack and connect it to the management and ToR switches according to the wiremap. See Rack Wiring.
- Power on the new host.
The management switch learns the host MAC via the DHCP request it receives from the new host. HMS learns that a new host is connected and updates its internal inventory.
- In a command line window, SSH to the SDDC Manager VM on the rack where you are adding the host.
- Open the /home/vrack/VMware/vRack/server-commission.properties file and specify values for:
For example, hms.host.bmc.userame=root
For example, hms.host.bmc.password=calvin
Do not use quotes when specifying the above values.Note:
Verify that you have typed the user name and password correctly.
- Type the following CLI command to run the Server Commission Tool:
You need administrator credentials to run this command, and can commission one server at a time. During host commissioning, the system recognizes the new host and adds it to the inventory and the capacity pool.
The command window displays the task progress.
In loadConfig, loading configuration from '/home/vrack/VMware/vRack/server-commission.properties'. In loadConfig, loading configuration from '/home/vrack/VMware/vRack/vrm.properties'. In getNewHosts, discovering new hosts. In commissionServer, discovered new host. BMC - [ IP: 192.168.0.51, MAC: 64:00:6a:c4:02:16 ]. In getNewHostInbandIpAddress, '192.168.100.51' is new host Inband IP adddress. In addHostKeyToKnownHosts, SSH key for the host '192.168.100.51' added to known hosts file '/home/vrack/.ssh/known_hosts'. In enableCdp, Cisco Discovery Protocol is set in 'both' mode for vSwitch: 'vSwitch0' In applyLicense, license is applied. In addHostToHmsInventory, new host's hostId is 'N6'. In addHostToHmsInventory, saved HMS inventory after adding new host to inventory. In refreshHmsInventory, HMS inventory refreshed successfully. In addHostToPRMInventory, adding host 'N6' to PRM inventory. In addHostToPrmInventory, PRM inventory updated successfully. In addHostToPRMInventory, added host 'N6' to PRM inventory. In commissionHost, commissioning host 'N6' initiated successfully. In getHostCommissioningStatus, host commissioning succeeded. In commissionServer, server commissioned successfully. In updatePRMInventoryForServer, successfully updated PRM Inventory. In commissionServer, PRM Inventory updated after server commissioned. In commissionServer, VRM Health service restarted. Server Commissioning SUCCEEDED.
Note the hostId displayed in the output. In the above example, the hostId is N6.
Sever commissioning is complete when the command window displays the following:
Server Commissioning SUCCEEDED
- Configure NTP on the newly commissioned server to synchronize the time on this server with the rest of the physical rack. See this Knowledge Base article.
- Retrieve the IP address of the commissioned host using the hostId noted earlier.
- On the SDDC Manager Dashboard, click View Details for Physical Resources.
- Click the rack on which the host was commissioned.
- Click the host corresponding to the hostId you noted down in step 6.
- Note down the inband IP address (NETWORK TWO address on the screen).
- Change the password on the host to the common password for ESXi hosts.
The common password is the password that was set on all ESXi hosts when you rotated passwords on the rack after bring-up.
- Log in to the SDDC Manager VM on the rack on which you added the new host.
- Navigate to the /home/vrack/bin directory.
- Stop the vrm-watchdogserver and vrm-tcserver services.
service vrm-watchdogserver stop
service vrm-tcserver stop
- Type the following command:
./vrm-cli.sh setup-password-esx hostIPAddress EvoSddc\!2016
where hostIPAddress is the IP address you noted down in step 7d.
- Restart the vrm-watchdogserver service, which also restarts the vrm-tcserver service.
Service vrm-watchdogserver start
- For All-flash servers, mark each flash device on the server to be used for the capacity layer as a capacity disk using the following command.
esxcli vsan storage tag add -d diskID -t capacityFlashNote:
Make sure that you reserve two flash devices for caching and performance.
The new host is now available for addition to workload domains.