An unmanaged host is a host in the capacity pool that is not part of a workload domain. This section describes how to upgrade the ESXi version on an unmanaged host in the first rack in a Cloud Foundation system before adding it to a workload domain. To upgrade unmanaged hosts in additional racks, contact VMware Support.
About this task
Take a backup of the unmanaged host before upgrading. See Back Up ESXi and Physical Switch Configurations.
The upgrade bundle must have been downloaded and must be available in the repository.
- On the Repository tab, click More Details next to the appropriate bundle.
- Note down the values in the Version and Required Version fields of the ESX_HOST section.
- Using the root account, SSH in to the SDDC Manager Controller VM.
- Navigate to the /opt/vmware/sddc-support/ directory.
- Run the following script:
The output displays the hosts in your Cloud Foundation system.
- Select the unmanaged host you want to upgrade.
- Verify that the Required Version value you noted in step 2 matches the Current Version displayed in the output table for the selected host.
- Specify the ESXi version you had noted down in Step 2.
- Follow the upgrade progress in the command window.
A sample output is shown below.