You can expand the management domain to increase the physical resources that are associated with it. The management domain can span across physical racks. Configure vRealize Operations to monitor the health and performance of the domain and provide alerts about resource utilization.
- From the SDDC Manager dashboard, navigate to details page for the management domain you want to expand.
- In the Domain Details page, click EXPAND DOMAIN.
The Expand Domain wizard opens.
- On the Domain Resources page, select enough additional hosts to accommodate the expanded workload domain.
The hosts being used for this workload domain are pre-selected on this page. You must select enough additional hosts to proceed.
- At the Resources step, specify the resources to add to the management domain.
Expand Method - By Capacity
Type the amount of CPU, memory, and storage capacity to add to the management domain.
- Proceed to the next step by clicking Next.
- At the Review step, review the displayed information.
The Review page displays the CPU, memory, and storage that will be added to the management domain based on the additional hosts you selected. The Additional Hosts sections lists the additional hosts you selected and the associated cluster details.
- Click Apply to begin the expansion workflow.
A message indicating the status of the workflow appears at the top of the Domain Details window. To confirm the progress of the expansion workflow's tasks, navigate to the System Status page and drill-down to the details about the workflow.
What to do next
If the host you added to the domain is at a lower version than the domain, follow the steps below.
Put the newly added host in maintenance mode via vCenter Web Client.
Upgrade the domain. See Patching and Upgrading Cloud Foundation.
After the host is upgraded, it comes out of maintenance mode.