You can expand a VI workload domain to increase the physical resources associated with it. The domain can span across physical racks.
- From the SDDC Manager dashboard, navigate to the workload domain's details page.
- In the Domain Details page, click EXPAND DOMAIN.
.The Expand Domain wizard opens.
- On the Resources page, specify the resources to add to the workload domain.
Expand Method - By Capacity
Type the amount of CPU, memory, and storage capacity to add to the workload domain.
- Click Next.
- On the Server Selection page, select enough additional hosts to accommodate the expanded workload domain.
The hosts being used for this workload domain are pre-selected on this page. You must select enough additional hosts to proceed.
- Click Next.
- At the Review step, review the displayed information and then click Apply to begin the expansion workflow.
The Review page lists the hosts that the workflow will add to the workload domain to accommodate the requested capacity and the physical rack details for those hosts.
A message indicating the status of the workflow appears at the top of the Domain Details window. To confirm the progress of the expansion workflow's tasks, navigate to the System Status page and click Tasks.
What to do next
If the host you added to the domain is at a lower version than the domain, follow the steps below.
Put the newly added host in maintenance mode via vCenter Web Client.
Upgrade the domain. See Patching and Upgrading Cloud Foundation.
After the host is upgraded, it comes out of maintenance mode.