At the Details step of an imaging run, you provide a name and description for the imaging run as well component and port information for the rack.
Software bundle must have been uploaded and activated.
All servers are powered off.
You must be able to power on the servers one at a time.
All items in the pre-imaging checklist have been completed.
- In the VIA user interface, click Imaging.
- (Optional) Type a name and description for the imaging run.
It is recommended that you add the rack serial number or other rack identification details in the Name or Description field. The name and description is recorded in the imaging details JSON file after imaging is complete, which helps identify the rack to which the imaging details file belongs.
- In Deployment Type, select Cloud Foundation Full Deployment.
- In Rack Type, select First Rack if you are imaging rack 1. For additional racks, select Additional Rack.
- For the management switch and ToR switches, select the vendor and model.
The IP address for each switch is displayed.
- (Optional) Type the MAC address of each switch.
- If the physical rack contains inter-rack switches (rack 2 only), type the number of inter-rack switches in the Number field in the Inter-rack Switch section.
- Select the vendor and model number of the inter-rack switches.
- In the Server section, type the number of servers in the physical rack.
- Select the vendor for each server.
- You can specify the server where the SDDC Manager VMs will be deployed. This server is referred to as ss the primary host. Either specify the port number on the ToR switch that the server is connected to, or the MAC address of the server.
If you do not type the port number or MAC address, the SDDC Manager VMs are deployed on the first server to be rebooted.
- Click in any section to view the VIA properties file.
The VIA properties file displays rack specification values from the activated software bundle. If required, edit the properties as appropriate. For example, delete the ToR ports that you are not using to speed up the imaging process.
- Click Save.
- Click Start Imaging. The wiring diagram for the rack is displayed.
Review the wiring diagram to check if your rack is wired according to the displayed wiremap. See Rack Wiring.
Click Confirm if it is accurate. If you need to make any wiring changes, click Cancel.
What to do next
Once imaging starts, notifications (errors, warnings, and information) are displayed in the top right corner of the VIA window. Click the icon to review the messages so that you can take the appropriate steps to complete the imaging successfully.