If a server fails to be imaged, you can image that server as an individual device rather than re-imaging the complete rack. Or you can image a new or replacement server before adding it to a rack.
Mount the host in the appropriate slot in the physical rack. For a replacement host, mount it in the same slot as the previous host and wire it according to the same wiring connections.
If VIA is installed on a laptop, connect the NIC port on the laptop to port 48 of the management switch on which the host is being imaged. If VIA is installed on a management host, connect the host to a private managed switch that is connected to port 48 of the management switch on which the host is being imaged.
VIA must have access to the inband network only.
Software bundle must have been uploaded. See Upload Software Bundle.
BIOS settings must have been set on the server to be imaged. See BIOS Settings.
Server must be in PXE boot mode.
Power off the server before imaging.
- In the VIA user interface, click Imaging.
Ensure that you are in the Details tab.
- (Optional) Type a name and description for the imaging run.
- In Deployment Type, select Cloud Foundation Individual Deployment.
- In Device Type, select ESXi_SERVER.
- In Rack Type, select Primary Rack if you are imaging a server in rack 1. For a server in an additional racks, select Add-On Rack.
- Select the vendor and model number of the server. The IP address of the server is displayed.
- If you are imaging a host for a multi-rack Cloud Foundation deployment, you must type the MAC address of the host being imaged. This ensures that VIA images the correct host.
- Click Start Imaging.
- Power on the server.
The server is discovered and the imaging process begins.
- Open the KVM console to the server.
- Change the boot device for the next boot to PXE Mode.
- Ina web browser, open the Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller page and login with default credentials (root/calvin).
- In the Properties tab, click Launch in the Virtual Console Preview.
The console opens in a new window.
- Open the keyboard.
- In the Properties tab, click Power Cycle System (cold boot) in the Quick Launch Tasks
- In the console window, press F11 to access the Boot Manager.
F11 = Boot Manager is highlighted.
- Select One-shot BIOS Boot Method
- Select PXE Boot.
Do not power cycle or reset the server.
- Monitor the ESXi installation on the console.
The server is rebooted after ESXi installation is complete. Ensure that ESXi is booting from the installed copy of ESXi and not from the network.
After the server boots from the installed copy of ESXi, VIA continues imaging the server.
- Download the inventory file. You need this file when adding an imaged host to a Cloud Foundation rack.
- Click the Inventory tab.
- Select the Run ID.
- Click Download.
The file is download on the jump VM.
- Copy the downloaded file to an accessible location.
- Disconnect VIA and shutdown the laptop or management host.