Upgrade NSX-T Data Center if your Cloud Foundation environment includes NSX-T workload domains.
- Upgrade Coordinator
- Edge clusters (if deployed)
- Host clusters
- NSX Manager cluster
All NSX-T VI workload domains share the same NSX Manager cluster and NSX Edge clusters. When you upgrade these components for one NSX-T VI workload domain, they are upgraded for all NSX-T VI workload domains. You cannot perform any operations on the NSX-T workload domains while NSX-T is being upgraded.
If you have multiple Edge or host clusters in an NSX-T VI workload domain, you can select which clusters to upgrade. The ability to select clusters allows for multiple upgrade windows and does not require all clusters to be available at a given time.
VMware Cloud Foundation supports both NSX-T 2.5 and 2.5.1. Existing NSX-T workload domains can use NSX-T 2.5, however to deploy a new NSX-T workload domain, you must upgrade to NSX-T 2.5.1.
- If you have Enterprise PKS workload domains in your environment, you must upgrade Enterprise PKS before upgrading NSX-T Data Center. See Upgrading Enterprise PKS.
- All applicable updates must have been applied to all NSX-T workload domains for the NSX-T upgrade bundle to be available for download. Otherwise, the status of the NSX-T bundle is displayed as Pending instead of Available for all workload domains.
- Download the NSX-T Data Center upgrade bundle. See Downloading Bundles.
- Navigate to the Updates/Patches tab of an NSX-T VI workload domain.
When you upgrade NSX-T components for a selected workload domain, those components are upgraded for all NSX-T workload domains, since the components are shared.
- Run the upgrade precheck. See Perform Upgrade Precheck.
The NSX-T precheck is run on all NSX-T workload domains in your environment.
- In the Available Updates section, click Update Now or Schedule Update for the NSX-T bundle and select the date and time for the bundle to be applied.
The NSX-T Upgrade Confirmation dialog box appears.
- Click Confirm.
- Select the NSX-T Edge clusters.
By default, all Edge clusters are upgraded. To select specific Edge clusters, click Enable edge selection. To upgrade only the Edge clusters, select Upgrade NSX-T Edge clusters only.
- Select the NSX-T host clusters.
By default, all host clusters are upgraded. To select specific host clusters, disable the Upgrade all hosts clusters setting.Note: You cannot upgrade any host clusters until you have upgraded all Edge clusters.
- Select the upgrade options.
Option Description Enable sequential upgrade of NSX-T Edge clusters Upgrades Edge clusters sequentially, instead of in parallel. Enable sequential upgrade of NSX-T hosts clusters Upgrades host clusters sequentially, instead of in parallel.
- Review the settings and click Finish.
The NSX-T upgrade begins and the upgrade components are displayed. The upgrade view displayed here pertains to the workload domain where you applied the bundle. Click the link to the associated workload domains to see the components pertaining to those workload domains.
- Monitor the upgrade progress. See Monitor Updates.
If a component upgrade fails, the failure is displayed across all associated workload domains. Resolve the issue and retry the failed task.
When all NSX-T components are upgraded successfully, a message with a green background and check mark is displayed.