VMware Cloud Foundation 3.8 on Dell EMC VxRail | 18 JULY 2019 | Build 14172583
Check regularly for additions and updates to these release notes.
VMware Cloud Foundation on Dell EMC VxRail is a solution offering that provides best-in-class serviceability and lifecycle management capabilities for customers looking to automate the deployment and management of the full VMware Software Defined Datacenter (SDDC) stack on Dell EMC VxRail.
The release notes cover the following topics:
This release has the following features:
- Support for NSX-T - Provides support for the creation of a VxRail Virtual Infrastructure (VI) workload domain with NSX-T Data Center or an NSX-T workload domain across the availability zones. The NSX-T Data Center is focused on providing networking, security, automation, and operational simplicity for the emerging application frameworks and architectures that have heterogeneous endpoint environments and technology stacks. The full lifecycle management such as deletion, upgrades, and expansion of the NSX-T workload domain are also supported in this release. The NSX-T Edge cluster needs to be deployed manually according to the VVD manual guidance.
- Support for VxRail Manager Certificate Management - Provides support for the VxRail Manager certificate management in SDDC Manager. When the user updates the vCenter certificates, the new vSphere certificates are imported in to VxRail Manager.
- VxRail Manager Integration with vRealize Log Insight - Supports the registration of VxRail Manager VMs in VMware vRealize Log Insight. This feature enables the real-time automated log management and monitoring of VxRail Manager components and helps the user to troubleshoot the VxRail Manager issues.
The Cloud Foundation software product is comprised of the following software Bill-of-Materials (BOM). The components in the BOM are interoperable and compatible.
|Software Component||Version||Date||Build Number|
|Cloud Builder VM||184.108.40.206||18 JUL 2019||
|SDDC Manager||3.8.0||18 JUL 2019||
|VMware vCenter Server Appliance||vCenter Server 6.7 Update 2c||16 JUL 2019||
|VMware vSphere (ESXi)||ESXi670-201906002||20 JUN 2019||
6.7 Express Patch 10
|20 JUN 2019||
|VMware NSX Data Center for vSphere||6.4.5||18 APRIL 2019||13282012|
|VMware NSX-T Data Center||2.4.1||21 MAY 2019||13716575|
|VMware vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager||2.1 Patch 1||06 JUN 2019||13685821|
|VMware vRealize Log Insight||4.8||11 APR 2019||13036238|
|vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for NSX for vSphere||3.8||n/a||n/a|
|vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for Linux||1.0||n/a||n/a|
|vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for vRealize Automation 7.3+||2.1||n/a||n/a|
|vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for vRealize Orchestrator 7.0.1+||2.0||n/a||n/a|
|vRealize Log insight Content Pack for NSX-T||3.2||n/a||n/a|
|VSAN content pack for Log Insight||2.0||n/a||n/a|
|VxRail Manager||4.7.212||30 JUL 2019||n/a|
|vRealize Operations Manager||7.5||11 APR 2019||13165949|
|vRealize Automation||7.6||11 APR 2019||13027280|
|Horizon7||7.7.0||13 DEC 2018||11038474|
- vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for vRealize Automation is installed during the deployment of vRealize Automation.
- vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for vRealize Orchestrator is installed during the deployment of vRealize Automation.
- vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for NSX-T is installed alongside the deployment of the first NSX-T workload domain.
- VMware Solution Exchange and the vRealize Log Insight in-product marketplace store only the latest versions of the content packs for vRealize Log Insight. The software components table contains the latest versions of the packs that were available and automation at the time VMware Cloud Foundation released. When you deploy the VMware Cloud Foundation components, it is possible that the version of a content pack within the in-product marketplace for vRealize Log Insight is newer than the one used for this release.
The following documentation is available:
The issues that have been resolved in this release are as follows:
Workload domain vCenter upgrade is failing
The vCenter upgrade is failing for the workload domain due to the missing
vc rsa-keyin SDDC Manager inside the known host file(
The add secondary cluster operation on the management domain fails.
After deploying the VMware Cloud Foundation on Dell EMC VxRail management domain, when you try to add the secondary cluster to it, the task fails.
The known issues and limitations for are as follows:
If you use the special character underscore (_) in the vCenter host name for the workload domain create operation, the vCenter deployment fails.
The vCenter deployment fails with the "
ERROR > Section 'new_vcsa', subsection 'network', property 'system_name' validation" error message.
Workaround: None. This is an issue in the vCenter product installer where the installer pre-validation fails. You should create the workload domain by providing valid vCenter host names.
During validation the following error message will appear "ESXi x.x.x.x build does not match, expected build: 13981272, actual build: build-13644319"
VMware Cloud Foundation 3.8 expects a higher version of the ESXi server than what is provided by the VxRail 4.7.211 build. This issue will be fixed by the release of VxRail 4.7.212.
Workaround: Acknowledge the error and proceed with the bring-up.
After a fresh install, the users will be unable to deploy workload domains after management domain has been deployed
Once the management domain has been deployed the workload domain cannot be deployed as there is a vcenter and psc version mismatch between VCF 3.8 and VxRail 4.7.211.
Workaround: Once the management domain deployment has been completed, log in to the Lifecycle Manager of SDDC manager, download the available Vcenter and PSC upgrades and apply them. Once the upgrade completes, the new workload domains can be deployed.
In some cases, the vLAN & the overlay NSX-T Transport Zones are not added to the nodes of the second NSX-T workload domain
Post the second NSX-T workload domain deployment, the add primary cluster operation to the NSX-T domain workflow succeeds. However, the nodes corresponding to the new cluster added to the new domain are not added to the vLAN and the overlay transport zones.
Workaround: Manually configure the nodes and add both overlay and VLAN zones to them.
The NIOC profile and LLDP profile are not added as a part of the transport node profile
For creating the transport node, you have to create a transport node profile. While creating the transport node profile, the various profiles except that of NIOC and LLDP are created and applied.
Workaround: Manually add the LLDP and NIOC profiles through the UI. The NIOC profile is already created by the work flow. You just have to select it.
VxRail Manager is not added to the exclusion list of NSX-V Firewall in the management domain.
Generally all the VMs in the management domain are made part of the exclusion list of the NSX-V firewall in the management domain. However, the VxRail Manager VM in the management domain is not added to the exclusion list.
Workaround: Manually add VxRail Manager to the exclusion list of the NSX-V firewall in the management domain.
The VxRail vCenter Plugin UI options may disappear after the OpenSSL/Microsoft certificate replace operations of all the components or just VxRail Manager
The certificate replace operation involves changes in VxRail Manager and the vCenter VMs. Sometimes the vCenter plugin download might fail as the communication can happen with invalid thumbprint and the VxRail plugin UI option might disappear from vCenter. As a result, the user cannot invoke the add hosts and the remove hosts operations from vCenter.
Workaround: Reload the plugin by opening the VxRail Manager page which redirects to vCenter and make sure the VxRail UI options are visible in the vCenter UI.
For the secondary cluster, the port group names for the VM port group and vCenter should follow a format
For the secondary cluster creation, the port group needs to follow a particular format as follows:
- The VM port group name should contain
- The vCenter Server network port group name should contain
vCenter Server Network.
Workaround: None. Ensure that you perform this operation before the creation of the secondary cluster.
- The VM port group name should contain
After the upgrade from VMware Cloud Foundation version 3.7.2 to version 3.8, the NSX-T workload deployment fails with the “NSX_MANAGER install image expected; found 0” error
If both the NSX Manager and the NSX-T Manager install bundles have not been downloaded through Lifecycle Manager, the new NSX-T workload domain deployment fails.
Workaround: Download both the NSX Manager and the NSX-T install bundles before creating the workload domain. If the domain is in a failed state, delete the domain, re-image the hosts and create a new domain.
The deployment of the vCenter fails if an underscore is used in the vCenter host name
If you use the underscore in the vCenter host name during the workload domain create operation, the vCenter deployment fails.
Workaround: None. This is an issue in the vCenter product installer in which the installer prevalidation fails. You should create the workload domain by providing a valid vCenter host name.
The migration of NSX-V to NSX-T is not supported
Workaround: Deploy a new NSX-T workload domain.