If the computer on which you install the skip level upgrade tool has access to depot.vmware.com and the Dell EMC depot, you can perform an online skip-level upgrade to update SDDC Manager and its services to the correct VMware Cloud Foundation version for the target release.
For information about which versions of VMware Cloud Foundation support skip-level upgrades, see VMware Cloud Foundation on VxRail Skip-Level Upgrade.
For complete usage information for the VMware Cloud Foundation SDDC Skip-Level Upgrade Tool command line interface (CLI), see Skip-Level Upgrade Tool CLI.
- Java 8 runtime environment, update 261 or later.
- Connectivity to depot.vmware.com.
- Connectivity to the Dell EMC depot (download.emc.com).
- Connectivity to SDDC Manager over SSH and HTTPS.
- Free Space of 120 GB.
If it does not meet these requirements, you can perform an offline skip-level upgrade. See Perform an Offline Skip-Level Upgrade for VMware Cloud Foundation on VxRail.Additional prerequisites:
- Take a snapshot of the SDDC Manager VM. The skip-level upgrade tool takes this snapshot by default, unless you choose to skip it.
- Take a snapshot of the management VMs.
- Do not run any domain operations while an upgrade is in progress. Domain operations include creating a VI workload domain, adding hosts to a cluster or adding a cluster to a workload domain, and removing clusters or hosts from a workload domain.
- Ensure that there are no failed workflows in your system and none of the Cloud Foundation resources are in activating or error state. If any of these conditions are true, contact VMware Support before starting the upgrade.
- Confirm that the passwords for all Cloud Foundation components are valid. Keep a record of the passwords in a secure location.
- Download the Bundle Transfer Utility & Skip Level Upgrade Tool for VMware Cloud Foundation 4.1 from My VMware to a Windows or Linux computer.
- Extract the file lcm-tools-prod.tar.gz.
- (Optional) To use a proxy server with the skip-level upgrade tool:
Note: The skip-level upgrade tool only supports proxy servers that do not require authentication.
- Open the /conf/application-skiplevelupgrade.properties file.
- Modify the Depot proxy properties section:
lcm.depot.adapter.proxyEnabled=true lcm.depot.adapter.proxyHost=<proxy IP address or FQDN> lcm.depot.adapter.proxyPort=<proxy port>
- Open a command line utility, change to the bin directory that contains the executables, and execute the following command:
sddcmanager-skip-level-upgrade.bat -d –uFor Linux:
./sddcmanager-skip-level-upgrade -d –uThis command downloads the applicable bundles and begins the upgrade process for SDDC Manager and its services. If you have already downloaded the required bundles, use only the -u option.
- Enter the following information:
When the upgrade is complete, you will see a message similar to the following:
- Fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) of the SDDC Manager VM.
- SDDC Manager super user name (primary user), for example: vcf.
- SDDC Manager REST API user name (basic auth user), for example: admin.
- Password for the primary user.
- Password for the root user.
- Password for the basic auth user.
- VMware Depot (My VMware) user name.
- VMware Depot (My VMware) password.
- Dell EMC Depot (Dell EMC Support account) user name.
- Dell EMC Depot (Dell EMC Support account) password.
- Local directory for downloaded bundles.
- SDDC Manager VM Temporary IP (with gateway and subnet). This may not be required depending on the version of VMware Cloud Foundation from which you are upgrading.
- Super user (primary user) name and password for new SDDC Manager VM (target VM). This may not be required depending on the version of VMware Cloud Foundation from which you are upgrading.
- Root user password for the new SDDC Manager VM (target VM). This may not be required depending on the version of VMware Cloud Foundation from which you are upgrading.
- REST API user (basic auth user) password for new SDDC Manager VM. This may not be required depending on the version of VMware Cloud Foundation from which you are upgrading.
2020-05-15 23:11:58.561-0800 INFO Successfully applied all required bundles 2020-05-15 23:11:58.561-800 INFO Enable VMWARE_SOFTWARE cumulative upgrade to VCF 4.1 2020-05-15 23:13:14.742-0800 INFO SDDC Manager skip level upgrade completed with success
What to do next
From the SDDC Manager UI, upgrade VxRail Manager and the other VMware Cloud Foundation components required for VMware Cloud Foundation 4.1 on Dell EMC VxRail. The components that you must upgrade and the order in which you upgrade them varies depending on the version of VMware Cloud Foundation on Dell EMC VxRail from which you are upgrading.
- vCenter Server
- NSX-T Data Center
- VxRail Manager
- vRealize Suite components