The vCenter bundle upgrades vCenter Server. Upgrade the management domain before upgrading any VI workload domains.
- Download the VMware vCenter upgrade bundle. See Download Bundles.
- Validate that the vCenter Server password is valid.
- If your VI workload domain contains Workload Management enabled clusters, ensure that Workload Management is at version 1.17 or higher. If Workload Management is at a lower version, upgrade Workload Management to at least version 1.17 before upgrading vCenter Server.
- Navigate to the Updates/Patches tab of the domain you are upgrading.
- Run the upgrade precheck. See Perform Update Precheck.
- In the Available Updates section, select the target release.
- Click Update Now or Schedule Update next to the vCenter upgrade bundle.
- If you selected Schedule Update, click the date and time for the bundle to be applied.
- Monitor the upgrade progress. See Monitor Updates.
If a component upgrade fails, the failure is displayed across all associated workload domains. Resolve the issue and retry the failed task.
What to do next
- If you are upgrading to VMware Cloud Foundation 4.2.1, see Upgrade to VMware Cloud Foundation 4.2.1.
- If you are upgrading to VMware Cloud Foundation 4.2, see Upgrade the Management Domain to VMware Cloud Foundation 4.2 or Upgrade VI Workload Domains to VMware Cloud Foundation 4.2.