The vCenter Server backup includes the configuration of the entire vCenter Server instance. To have a backup only of the vSphere Distributed Switch and distributed port group configurations, you export a configuration file that includes the validated network configurations. If you want to recover only the vSphere Distributed Switch, you can import this configuration file to the vCenter Server instance.
You can use the exported file to create multiple copies of the vSphere Distributed Switch configuration on an existing deployment, or overwrite the settings of existing vSphere Distributed Switch instances and port groups.
You must backup the configuration of a vSphere Distributed Switch immediately after each change in configuration of that switch.
- In a web browser, log in to vCenter Server by using the vSphere Client.
- Select .
- In the inventory expand .
- Expand the Management Networks folder, right-click the distributed switch, and select .
- In the Export configuration dialog box, select Distributed switch and all port groups.
- In the Description text box enter the date and time of export, and click OK.
- Copy the backup zip file to a secure location from where you can retrieve the file and use it if a failure of the appliance occurs.
- Repeat the procedure for the other vSphere Distributed Switches.