The VMware Software Update bundle for VMware vCenter Server is used to upgrade the vCenter Servers managed by SDDC Manager. Upgrade vCenter Server in the management domain before upgrading vCenter Server in any VI workload domains.
- Download the VMware vCenter upgrade bundle. See Downloading Bundles.
- vCenter Server upgrade stages now use APIs instead of CLIs, so snapshots are not supported. Backup the vCenter Server appliance before starting the upgrade.
Note: If your VI workload domain contains Workload Management enabled clusters, ensure that Workload Management is at version 1.17 or higher. If Workload Management is at a lower version, upgrade Workload Management to at least version 1.17 before upgrading vCenter Server.
- In the navigation pane, click .
- On the Workload Domains page, click the domain you are upgrading and then click the Updates/Patches tab.
- Run the upgrade precheck. See Perform Update Precheck.
- In the Available Updates section, select the target release.
- Click Update Now or Schedule Update next to the vCenter upgrade bundle.
- If you selected Schedule Update, click the date and time for the bundle to be applied and click Schedule.
- Monitor the upgrade progress. See Monitor Updates.
If a component upgrade fails, the failure is displayed across all associated workload domains. Resolve the issue and retry the failed task.
What to do next
- If you are upgrading the management domain, see Upgrade the Management Domain to VMware Cloud Foundation 4.3.
- If you are upgrading a VI workload domain, see Upgrade VI Workload Domains to VMware Cloud Foundation 4.3.