Ensure that the following prerequisites are met before starting an upgrade.
- Take a backup of the SDDC Manager appliance. This is required since the SDDC Manager appliance will be rebooted during the update.
- Take a snapshot of relevant VMs in your management domain.
- Do not run any domain operations while an update is in progress. Domain operations are creating a new VI domain, adding hosts to a cluster or adding a cluster to a workload domain, and removing clusters or hosts from a workload domain.
- Download the relevant bundles. See Download VMware Cloud Foundation on Dell EMC VxRail Bundles.
- If you applied an async patch to your current VMware Cloud Foundation instance you must use the Async Patch Tool to upgrade to a later version of VMware Cloud Foundation. For example, if you applied an async vCenter Server patch to a VMware Cloud Foundation 4.3.1 instance, you must use the Async Patch Tool to upgrade to VMware Cloud Foundation 4.4. See the Async Patch Tool documentation.
- Ensure that there are no failed workflows in your system and none of the VMware Cloud Foundation resources are in activating or error state. If any of these conditions are true, contact VMware Support before starting the upgrade.
- Confirm that the passwords for all VMware Cloud Foundation components are valid. An expired password can cause an upgrade to fail.
- Review the VMware Cloud Foundation on Dell EMC Release Notes for known issues related to upgrades.