Eligible Microsoft server applications such as Microsoft SQL Server, may, in certain cases, be deployed on VMware Cloud on AWS using existing licenses.
This allows you to more easily move your workloads to a VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC, without any additional Microsoft software licensing fees. Microsoft Volume Licensing customers with eligible server applications covered by active Microsoft Software Assurance (SA) contracts may migrate licenses acquired after October 1, 2019. Not only will License Mobility make the transition easier for existing SA customers, it provides customers who prefer to purchase perpetual licenses the ability to continue doing so while still taking advantage of the efficiencies of the cloud.
How to Sign Up
All customers using License Mobility through Software Assurance must complete a license verification process with Microsoft, and Microsoft will ensure that you have eligible licenses with active Software Assurance. To start the verification process and review additional details, go to: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/licensing-programs/software-assurance-license-mobility.aspx.
Within 10 days of deployment, complete the License Verification Form available on the Volume Licensing Document Search website and provide it to your Microsoft representative or preferred resell partner, so he or she can submit your form to Microsoft. Once submitted, Microsoft will confirm your eligibility and communicate your verification status to you and your chosen Authorized Mobility Partner.
Eligibility for License Mobililty
- All Microsoft server products migrated to VMware Cloud on AWS must be eligible via the Microsoft License Mobility through Software Assurance program as set forth by Microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing.aspx
- The server applications must be on the list of eligible products published by Microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing.aspx. The list includes:
- Exchange Server
- SharePoint Server
- SQL Server Standard Edition
- SQL Server Enterprise Edition
- SQL Server Business Intelligence Edition
- Skype for Business Server
- System Center Server
- Dynamics CRM Server
- Dynamics AX Server
- Project Server
- Visual Studio Team Foundation Server
- BizTalk Server
- Forefront Identity Manager
- Forefront Unified Access Gateway
- Remote Desktop Services
- Microsoft Server Windows operating system products
- Microsoft Windows client operating system products
- Desktop application products (for example, Microsoft Office)