If you are using a Direct Connect connection between your on-premises data center and your cloud SDDC, you must configure the vMotion interfaces for your on-premises hosts to route vMotion traffic over the Direct Connect connection.
Configure Direct Connect and create a private virtual interface.
- Select one of the following methods to configure the vMotion interface on each host in your on-premises environment.
Option Description Override the default gateway (works for vSphere 7.0 hosts only) For each host, edit the VMkernel adapter used for vMotion traffic, and select the option to override the default gateway. Enter an IP address in your on-premises vMotion subnet that is capable of routing traffic to the on-premises side of the Direct Connect connection. See Edit a VMkernel Adapter Configuration. Configure the vMotion TCP/IP stack For each host:
- Remove any existing vMotion VMkernel adapters.
- Create a new VMkernel adapter and select the vMotion TCP/IP stack. See Place vMotion Traffic on the vMotion TCP/IP Stack of an ESXi Host.
- Edit the host vMotion TCP/IP stack to change the routing to use an IP address in your on-premises vMotion subnet that is capable of routing traffic to the on-premises side of the Direct Connect connection. See Change the Configuration of a TCP/IP Stack on a Host.
- (Optional) Test connectivity between an on-premises host and a cloud SDDC host using vmkping.
See https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003728 for more information.