Inventory groups categorize VMs based on VM names, IP addresses, and matching criteria of VM name and tag. You use inventory groups to specify sources and destinations when you create firewall rules, and to simplify managing workload VMs that require similar configurations.
- names that follow a naming convention (like Win* for Windows VMs or Photon* for Photon VMs)
- IP addresses within a specific range or CIDR block
- security tags
- Log in to the VMC Console at https://vmc.vmware.com.
- On the Networking & Security tab, click .
- On the Groups card, click Management Groups or Workload Groups, then click ADD GROUP.
Management groups contain VMs on the Management Network. Workload groups contain VMs on the Compute network. To modify an existing group, select it and click the ellipsis button.
- Enter a descriptive Name for the group.
- Select a Member Type.
The choices are Virtual Machine, IP address, or Membership Criteria.
- Enter a definition for your group.
The group definition comprises one or more membership criteria. VMs that match all of the selected criteria are included in the group.
Option Description Virtual Machine Select one or more VMs from the list.Note: This member type is available only for Workload Groups IP address Enter an IP address, CIDR block, or a range of IP addresses in the form ip-ip (for example
Membership Criteria Click Set Membership Criteria to open the Membership Criteria page. Click ADD CRITERIA and specify one or more criteria as Property, Condition, Value tuples. For example:
VM Name Contains db_to include VMs whose names contain the string
db_in the group, or
Tag Equals Secureto include VMs tagged with the tag
Secure.Note: This member type is available only for Workload Groups
- Click SAVE to create the group.
- (Optional) Review group members. Select the newly created group and click the ellipsis button.
Option Description View Members View the members of the group. View References View any firewall rules that reference the group.