We kept the configuration of the VMs constant except for the number of vCPUs, which we varied depending on the specific test. The VMs used the VMXNET3 virtual network adapter and paravirtual SCSI (PVSCSI) adapters. We assigned data and log virtual disks to separate PVSCSI adapters. We also configured the memory to be 128 GB.
We installed the VM with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7.2 as the operating system and Oracle Database 184.108.40.206 using the Oracle-provided installer RPM. We followed Oracle best practices documentation for this installation. We configured huge pages for RHEL and enabled them in Oracle, and we set the Oracle sga_target parameter to 100 GB. This ensured that a large amount of the 140 GB database would be available in the buffer cache, but not all, so that some disk accesses would occur during the tests.