The first time you try to add a private cloud account in the Cost Insight service, VMware Cloud services prompts you to add a data collector.
About this task
You can deploy as many data collectors as you want, one for each vCenter Server. To link your vCenter Servers into the same private cloud and gather information from them all, give each vCenter Server the same private cloud name in the Add/Edit vCenter form.
Do the following procedure to download the data collector .OVA file and deploy it to your private vCenter account.
- Log in to the Cost Insight service.
- Expand Manage and select Data Collector.
- Click vCenter. This displays the Setup a Data Collector Virtual Appliance screen. (Leave this screen open, you need it later.)
- Click Download in Step 1 of the Data Collector form to obtain the data collector .OVA file.
Note: The data collector is different for the Network Insight service.
- Navigate to your VMware vSphere Web Client data center and click on the name of your vCenter cluster. In the drop down menu, select Deploy OVF Template.
- This displays the Deploy OVF Template form. The steps to the left guide you through deployment of your data collector.
- Click Select template, then the URL radio button. Paste in the path to the .OVA data collector file you downloaded. (If you have already installed a data collector to your vCenter and are reinstalling it, click Local file.) Click Next.
- Click Select name and location, then enter the Name of your .OVA file. Select the cluster where you want to install the data collector. Click Next.
- Click Select a resource and the cluster where you want to run the data collector. Click Next.
- Review the details of your data collector deployment. Notice the Size on disk field. The location where you deploy the data collector in the following steps must have enough space available. Click Next.
- Accept the License Agreement. Click Next.
- Click Select storage and select a datastore from the list with enough free space to accept your OVA file. Click Next.
- Click Select networks and select a destination network. Click Next.
- Click Customize template and fill in the form with the required information. Do not click Next.
Name of the Remote Data Collector - Use the name of the OVA file
Root User Password - Choose a unique password. It does not need to match the vCenter password.
- Return toVMware Cloud services and collect the token key provided by the Discovery service on the Setup a Data Collector Virtual Appliance form. Click Copy to copy the key.
- When you see the Copied message, return to the vCenter Customize template form and paste the token key into the VMware Cloud Services One-Time Token field. Do not click Next.
- Click the Networking Properties drop down. This displays a number of network settings. If you use DHCP in your vCenter network, do not fill out any of these fields. Leave them blank. If you do not use DHCP, then you need to provide a setting for each of these fields. When you have filled out - or left blank - the Networking Properties field, click Next.
- Click Ready to complete and review your configuration data. Click Back to revise or click Finish.
Clicking Finish installs the data collector into your vSphere Web Client.
- Return to the vSphere Web Client to run the data collector. Once you run the .OVA file in the vSphere Web Client, the data collector works with the vCenter Server to push data to the VMware Cloud services.
- If not already running when you return to your vSphere Web Client, click the green arrow at the top of your screen to start it.
- To verify that your data collector is running, look under the VMs tab at the list of your virtual machines to ensure it is Powered On.
- Return to the VMware Cloud services Set Up a Data Collector Virtual Appliance form. Wait for a connection to be made between your vSphere Web Client andVMware Cloud services . (This may take several minutes.) When the connection has been made successfully, you see the Next button at the bottom of the screen become active. Click Next.