To track the change history of configuration files, use one of the available methods to enable Configuration Changelog and to select a changelog destination. You can use the VMware Dynamic Environment Manager Console method or, if you provide Management Console configuration by using a policy, you can use the Group Policy Object (GPO) method.
By default, configuration-file change information is not saved. To save change information, enable Configuration Changelog and select one or both of the following changelog options.
- Log changes to disk. When you select this option, VMware Dynamic Environment Manager logs configuration-file change information to the VMware Dynamic Environment Manager configuration share. You can view the change information using the VMware Dynamic Environment Manager Console on the Changelog tab of the respective Flex configuration file or user environment settings configuration file.
- Log changes to Windows event log. When you select this option, VMware Dynamic Environment Manager logs configuration-file change information to the local event log. You can view this information in Event Viewer.
To perform this procedure using the Group Policy Object (GPO) method, configure a GPO for VMware Dynamic Environment Manager Management Console settings and assign that GPO to your VMware Dynamic Environment Manager administrators or help-desk staff. To get a sense of how to configure a policy that contains VMware Dynamic Environment Manager Console settings for administrators, see Lock Down Access to the Management Console.
- ♦ Enable Configuration Changelog using the configuration option that best suits your deployment.
Option Description Use the VMware Dynamic Environment Manager Management Console
- Start the VMware Dynamic Environment Manager Management Console.
- Click Configure, and then click the Configuration Changelog tab.
- Select one or both of the changelog destinations.
- Log Changes to disk
- Log changes to Windows event log
Edit the GPO
- Open the Group Policy Management Editor and access the VMware DEM Management Console folder.
Click a changelog type to open.
- Changelog: Log changes to disk.
- Changelog: Log changes to the Windows event log.
- In the changelog dialog box, click Enabled.
- To set a maximum number of log changes to disk for a given configuration file, edit the Maximum number of changes per configuration file value.
When you enable Configuration Changelog, the VMware Dynamic Environment Manager Management Console adds an entry consisting of a timestamp and a user name to a changelog destination every time a change is made to a configuration file. Each changelog entry also contains the type of change, such as created, enabled, disabled, or exported.